Saturday, January 30, 2010

Interview with A Vampire Movie

So the movie was really pretty good. But I was very confused half the time by the huge story differences. Lestat's father gets cut out altogether, which, to me made his character different slightly. I liked that he cared about his father in the book, even though he was a vampire, he still tried hard to take care of his parent. This gave him an acceptable motif to turn Louis into a vampire, so he could take over the estate and have a place for his elderly father to reside. The movie version just made him out to be greedy, not enough of a motif for me, at least, not strong enough. Then there was Louis. His madness at his brothers death, and the thought that he was the cuase, made for again, a much better explanation of character and motif. In the movie we are quickly told he had a wife and child die? I guess it works, since Claudia could be seen as the child he so loved and adored in human life. I did like the actor choice for the characters though. Who wouldn't want to see Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise breathing hot and heavy on top of one another? Lovely.

I didn't much like Tom Crusie at first for Lestat. Though, at the end of the movie, I had changed my mind. Tom did a pretty nice job pulling off Lestats crazy mannerisms, though, then again, Tom Crusie is pretty cra.....well, reagardless he did a great job.

Now, my favorite choice by far, was Claudia. Kirstein Dunst was an excellent choice. She was much like the Claudia I imagined from the book, plus she did an amazing job acting. She was seriously creepy at parts. I also loved how well she played the part of Claudia as an older woman traped in the body of a child. She was very believable and even her pronounciation was exceptional.

The movie did a nice job of building the characters, without making it boring. I did feel at times that the bloody parts were a little, too much, almost cheesy, but that didn't hinder the ability of the books creepy factor. The part in which Armand's band of vampires feast in front of a live audience was really spot on. That part made the movie in my opinion.

Of course, I still liked the book much more then the movie, but it's hard to beat someones own interpretations. One character I was very displeased with was the "boy" or Daniel Molloy, interviewing Louis throughout the book. I had thought of him as much younger in the book for some reason, in the movie he just seemed much too old. Christian Slater, did do a nice job of making him seem like a loser at the end, power hungry and greedy for eternal life. But I could never get over the actor choice. The ending of the movie was great though, I already loved the character of Lestat, but they made him a pretty awesome bad-ass. The lines he says when he hears the tape playing of Louis were great, "Oh Louis, still whining about everything I see." Then he drives off across the bridge in a convertible with his golden hair, and his...ahem. Anyway, great movie, I strongly suggest anyone who's read the book watch the movie, not a disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment