Saturday, April 3, 2010

Blade Runner

Have you ever heard someone talk about a movie they liked and thought, "Hey, sounds like a movie I might enjoy!" and then you never see it? That's blade runner. I really like Ridley Scott films and I had kept urging myself to take a secound to watch this film since a lot of people have suggested to me, but I never had the time nor the incentive. After watching some of it in class I was hooked. I had to watch more and not because Harrison Ford was in it (swoon) but because the story was really interesting and the character's (unlike today's action packed films) weren't 1 dimensional. I'm a computer animation student. I hate that computer animation is ruining movies today. Yes, it is. I think directors are depending too much on CGI to make an "eye candy film" more then a memorable movie. I hear people say "It was a great movie! The special effects were awesome!' too much for comfort. I admit, I love older movies for the shear fact that they have to depend on the characters and the story to make money. Once in a while a movie will have CGI and a great story. But more then half of the time, that movie won't be recent.

I watched it and I loved it! When the movie ended I was so enchanted, I felt so much for the characters. The replicants left such a strange taste in my mouth. I didn't know if I should hate them or feel pity for them. In the end, the hero is at a replicants mercy. The whole story was a rude awaking to the truth. Our hero finds out his job...ok I won't ruin the movie for you, but lets just say the ending was the best part. Yes, I cried, but never have I been so moved by dialogued. I still remember the words because I thought they were so perfectly recited and so beautiful. The music, the mood, everything, as sappy as it was, worked perfectly together. The music in the film was also excellent, as 80's as it was. The music kinda moved slowly compared to most action flicks today. In fact, it wasn't really a sci-fi film, nor an action flick. I'm not sure how I would describe it. I guess it was sci-fi for the shear fact it was in the future. But it could have been any time frame and still been a great story.

Some of it I was confused by, or I didn't understand. Maybe it was because I have become too used to movies giving me all the answers that when i see any older flick that challenged my intellectual side i become a little confused. I did have to ask my friend what was going on at times, but I was happy when he told me to watch and let me figure it out, because in the end I got everything and then some and finding my own answer made the movie all the more amazing to me.

This film will really make you question life and what it is to be human.

" All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

Great movie, I would strongly suggest it to anyone looking for a good flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment