Friday, March 5, 2010

Equal Rights, er...Rites

I'd never heard of Terry Pratchett, and was embarrassed to say that I was surprised to learn that name belong to a man, not a woman as I had previously gathered. This actually caused me to take a step back and look at my own way of thinking, I mean, just because this book had some woman's rights features I automatically assumed the writer was female. Go figure.

The writing style was amusing, I mean, not in that it was poorly written amusing, but that it was very well written and that the tone was so clear, it was humorous and it was serious when it wanted to be, there was no issue at that. Maybe I'm not the best reader, but I also found this book to be an easy read. That's saying a lot as I am usually a slow reader and often enough I'll find myself going back to make sure I understood what I just read. The book also had a great effect on my emotions. I'm one for justice and when I see an injustice it makes me wanna open my mouth,...in a bad way. Yes, it makes me want to look up sexiest commercials and slogans and rip them apart to make myself feel better. The book did a good job on my feminist emotions thankfully, but the discussion in class brought those feeling back for the rest of the day! Thankfully I live in the 21st century, I'd have gotten my mouth sewn shut or my tongue cut out by now I'm sure had it been any other time frame....
The ending was.....it wasn't at at what I wanted. In fact, it was lmost like a 60's romance. Sure she was able to attand, but I still felt like the book did nothing but make the woman seem uneducated and rural. Even in the end, I felt there was no major climax for our main character, it was more about Simon....
Well, still a pretty good read, though I will point out that a guy might not get the same feelings as a girl from this book, but I think anyone can appreciate and enjoy the playful use of satirical banter Pratchett delivers every other paragraph.

No comments:

Post a Comment